Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Main Street Challenge

The Main Street Challenge

As I was reviewing the States plan for US 31 I noticed Carmel Dr and US 31 is an overpass and not an exit.

Exits are at 106th, 116th and Main St and 136th.

This seems like the Northernmost exit will feed a lot of East bound through traffic right down Main St.

Am I the only one that thinks the State may have really served us up a giant headache!
    "Authenticity is the path to freedom. By giving people the freedom to reject you, you give people the freedom to accept the *real* you." ---- To make beautiful music with a piano you must play the black and the white keys together.

Re: The Main Street Challenge

The exit was moved to Main Street as requested by Mayor Brainard. Originally the State of Indiana planned this to be an overpass but the Mayor wants to use this as the gateway to Carmel. Therefore the design was changed.

Trouble is since the buildings in downtown are built so close to the street there is no way to widen the road, on Main Street and Rangeline too, for that matter.

Yes, this is a major problem. Never let a politician redesign your city.

Dining three feet away from gridlock sounds like a beautiful evening out doesn't it?

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentOfCarmel
    The exit was moved to Main Street as requested by Mayor Brainard. Originally the State of Indiana planned this to be an overpass but the Mayor wants to use this as the gateway to Carmel. Therefore the design was changed.

Trouble is since the buildings in downtown are built so close to the street there is no way to widen the road, on Main Street and Rangeline too, for that matter.

Yes, this is a major problem. Never let a politician redesign your city.

Dining three feet away from gridlock sounds like a beautiful evening out doesn't it?
    I think your wrong! The mayor lobbied for the Carmel Drive exit but because of the short distance between 116th and the higher speeds. INDOT chose Main Street. Exiting off at Main will offer a number of options with Penn and Grand Blvd.

That is not how I remember it. I know the public was very much against an interchange at Main and for an interchange at 126th.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/assets ... -part2.pdf

And, I'm almost positive that I remember seeing the first preferred alternative from INDOT being an interchange at Carmel Drive and an under/overpass at Main. Almost positive.

I remember when the decision was made I couldn't believe it. I wasn't alone as one can see in the document above.

I know that Jack Badger wrote in favor of the 131st Interchange, so that's a clue.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/assets ... part2a.pdf

The short distance thing I don't get. There's now only 1/2 mile between 131st and 136th where with a Carmel Drive interchange the distance to 136th would have been greater. And the distance between 116th and Carmel Drive is 1.1 miles.

I remember discussing this with friends that traffic thru downtown would be a nightmare, but the Mayor wanted a gateway into Carmel and the interchange with US 31 would provide that opportunity and put potential customers into downtown.

Lately you've been crowing loudly about the new gateway on Main from US 31 and now your are telling us that the Mayor didn't want it?

Not buyn' what you're sellin,' but what else is new.

Okay, so I'm a little late to the party. I apparently didn't read the project plans too closely, they're NOT doing an intersection at U.S. 31 and Carmel Drive? Seems to me this would affect the Hamilton Crossing Centre (Moe's, Office Depot, Starbucks, Jason's Deli) and Meijer, as well as the shopping center to the west of U.S. 31.

However, living off of Main Street, I am happy that I'll be able to enter/exit U.S. 31 easier... but still not understanding why they'd bypass Carmel Drive with all the retail and wider lanes to accommodate traffic.

[attachment=0:1x1x00ib]136th-Street-Interchange.jpg[/attachment:1x1x00ib]
    “The moment when someone attaches you to a philosophy or a movement, then they assign all the baggage and all the rest of the philosophy that goes with it to you. And when you want to have a conversation, they will assert that they already know everything important there is to know about you because of that association. And that's not the way to have a conversation.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentOfCarmel
    That is not how I remember it. I know the public was very much against an interchange at Main and for an interchange at 126th.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/assets ... -part2.pdf

And, I'm almost positive that I remember seeing the first preferred alternative from INDOT being an interchange at Carmel Drive and an under/overpass at Main. Almost positive.

I remember when the decision was made I couldn't believe it. I wasn't alone as one can see in the document above.

I know that Jack Badger wrote in favor of the 131st Interchange, so that's a clue.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/assets ... part2a.pdf

The short distance thing I don't get. There's now only 1/2 mile between 131st and 136th where with a Carmel Drive interchange the distance to 136th would have been greater. And the distance between 116th and Carmel Drive is 1.1 miles.

I remember discussing this with friends that traffic thru downtown would be a nightmare, but the Mayor wanted a gateway into Carmel and the interchange with US 31 would provide that opportunity and put potential customers into downtown.

Lately you've been crowing loudly about the new gateway on Main from US 31 and now your are telling us that the Mayor didn't want it?

Not buyn' what you're sellin,' but what else is new.
    ROC,

Could you tell me the pages that reference the 131st roundabout in the second document?

I scanned all 101 pages and was unable, I know it's there, to locate the reference.

Thanks,
    "Authenticity is the path to freedom. By giving people the freedom to reject you, you give people the freedom to accept the *real* you." ---- To make beautiful music with a piano you must play the black and the white keys together.

About a third of the way down the document Badger makes two comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiel
    Okay, so I'm a little late to the party. I apparently didn't read the project plans too closely, they're NOT doing an intersection at U.S. 31 and Carmel Drive? Seems to me this would affect the Hamilton Crossing Centre (Moe's, Office Depot, Starbucks, Jason's Deli) and Meijer, as well as the shopping center to the west of U.S. 31.

However, living off of Main Street, I am happy that I'll be able to enter/exit U.S. 31 easier... but still not understanding why they'd bypass Carmel Drive with all the retail and wider lanes to accommodate traffic.
    Bingo. This is why the public wanted the interchange at Carmel Drive. Add in the ridiculous amount of traffic that will be on Main Street, a street that can't handle current traffic and you've got a mess.

I checked with my spouse about this and they too remember that the public was for an interchange at Carmel Drive but the Mayor wanted the interchange at Main Street. He wanted traffic to come to the A&DD rather than the other commercial areas. And they remembered the conversations about this with our friends and neighbors about all of this.

I'm remembering now too that there was something about access to a new office development Browning was working on near Main Street and he wanted access to that.

This is one of the reasons that the interchange was relocated to Main Street:

http://www.meridianandmain.com/

Be sure to watch the slide show where there big selling point is direct connection to US 31. Without the interchange Browning's chances of successfully developing this area was significantly diminished. This is a ton of new taxes for Carmel (Mayor Brainard) so it makes sense that this is where the new interchange needed to be. The established businesses would just have to fend for themselves, just like on Keystone Avenue.

http://www.ibj.com/developer-pitches-ca ... /post/1505

This was a long time ago but the sequence of events is becoming more clear in my mind.

Again, the public was very much against an interchange at Main Street.

In this 2009 document the CRC is already commenting about the "new gateway to Carmel from US 31."

http://carmel.ori.net/government/boards ... inutes.pdf

Browning's development and TIF money is also being discussed as well as how this development will bring new and bigger taxes to Carmel. Also in this document you can see how a developer comes to the CRC with their hand out looking for free money.

So there you have it. our new Gateway to Carmel, TIF for Browning and new taxes to Carmel all thanks to the interchange at Main Street.

http://www.browninginvestments.com/File ... M&M-HR.pdf

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast